April 2nd, 2019
20 Questions: Dylan Rapillard
Artist Dylan Rapillard answers 20 questions for The Nassau Guardian’s Arts&Culture Section.
1. What’s been your most inspirational moment in the last five years?
Getting a studio at Popopstudios and coming to terms with the absurdity of life.
2. What’s your least favorite piece of artwork
I guess it all has its place whether or not we accept it.
3. What’s your favorite period of art history?
Probably modernism, the fight against standards gets me going.
4. What are your top 5 movies of all time?
The Big Lebowksi (The dude, need I say more).
Pulp Fiction – “I’m trying real hard to be the shepard”.
Life is Beautiful – “Yes, the prize is a tank”.
City of God – “A kid? I smoke, I snort. I’ve killed and robbed. I’m a man”.
Amelie – “Philoméne likes the sound of the cat’s bowl on the tiles. The cat likes overhearing children’s stories”.
The Matrix (for its philosophical existentialism) although Keanu Reeves needs to learn how to act different than “being Keanu Reeves”. MORPHEUS.
5. Coffee or tea?
Black Coffee, no sugar.
6. What book are you reading now?
“Thus Spoke Zarathustra” by Friedrich Nietzsche.
8. What’s the last show that surprised you?
“Kingdom Come” at the NAGB was epic. Otherwise Francis Bacon at the Met in NY made me tingle inside.
9. Saxons, One Family, Valley Boys or Roots?
I don’t take sides, I find it isn’t objective.
10. If you had to be stranded on one Family Island which one would it be?
11. What’s the most memorable artwork you’ve ever seen?
“Guernica” by Picasso.
12. Which artist do you have a secret crush on?
It wouldn’t be a secret if I told you now would it.
13. If you could have lunch with anyone who would it be?
My friends and family, they’re pretty awesome.
14. Who do you think is the most important Bahamian in the country’s history?
One people, united in love and service.
15. Who is your favorite living artist?
I don’t know, we never tend to appreciate them until they’re gone… Lucian Freud was, but he’s passed away…. I really don’t know… Banksy maybe.
16. Sunrise or Sunset?
I enjoy the beginning of the day more, but I find the setting of the sun to be more aesthetically pleasing.
17. What role does the artist have in society?
The same as everyone else… with their consciousness as their guide, being earnest, whole and true.
18. What’s your most embarrassing moment?
When I wake up and don’t remember what I did the night before.
19. What wouldn’t you do without?
Please refer to the previous questions…
20. What’s your definition of beauty?
Life in all its aspects… “With all its shams, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.” – Desiderata